Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Firewalls and stuff ....

It's interesting to note, at least to me, that most of the application software I end up using is top notch stuff that doesn't seem to get widespread reviews or plaudits. What they do get though is always good. Recently my favourite personal firewall (that I also use) has had a facelift to version 2.5 and it looks better than ever.

I am of course referring to Outpost from Agnitum - they also do other bits and bobs such as trojan scanners ... anyway, go see for yourself and decide and hey, don't just take my word for it .... see here and also here. I, of course, have no affiliation to these sites or to the software house but I have been a user since version 1.0 (difficult to understand for beginners or even intermediate users) and since the release of 2.5 it is really starting to come of age. Whatever, if you have broadband you owe it to yourself to have a good firewall and don't just fall for the flash packet and schmaltzy advertising. Go out and investigate it .... Oh yes, one should add, that along with my AV, my Adware scanners (yes, plural) and my trojan /keylog scanners I have managed to keep my home system free from nasties - not that they haven't tried ...

What else .... well, I am really starting to get to grips with how I want to use my gMail account and have so far invited 6 friends - all accepted - BUT I still have one left. Now, no begging letters, but I am willing to give this... yes I said give ... to the writer of the most entertaining, which doesn't always mean funny, eMail received in the next two weeks. So, mini-comp, closes November 22nd 2004.

No 1 son is moaning about his PC constantly crashing and have
"I done anything to it" well unless he means my removing the acres of adware he managed to infest it with within 10 days of me finally getting the internet to his PC, then no, I've done nothing . Sometimes a rebuild is the only answer and it is going to server a two fold purpose. 1. He can do the rebuild and learn about it first hand and 2. After my lecture on internet "safe surfing" he should be more aware of what he's doing ....

Be happy ....

OK - bug out time ... but get them eMails rolling.

No comments: