Saturday, January 29, 2005

Somebody like me .... revisited.

Hmm. After the 'dressing down' of two weeks back I've had to attend the source of my discomfort - a particular place of work .... so I followed this up a week afterwards with my immediate line manager and asked him had he "heard anything". Yes he says with a laugh ...... they said you were a' very nice person and that technically I knew my stuff' - well knock me down with a Juggernaut ..... but and here's the crucial bit as far as I am concerned. I haven't changed my attitude or the way I treat this particular place - I guess I was ever so slightly more careful with the words I used butonly marginally so.

Long time work colleague and not o long time friend, Little G, left for pastures anew yesterday. I wish him all the best as he's a young man on the edge of his career taking off - he could and should go far. What was weird is that whilst the most folks I've ever seen turned up for the traditional farewell speech from the manager - even the top dog himself was there - it was very muted. By that I mean it had a surreal atmosphere as if it wasn't happening and instead it was yet another bizarre dream. Once again though, the top dog declined to say a word and left it to the big boss. But then this is what I've come to expect of our management - no direction, no guidance and we only find things out by accident. When I challenge this I'm told that "all management team minutes are available to all". Well exscuse me, but I simply don't have the luxury of time to go and look at minutes of a meeting that, on the whole, don't affect me.

What ever happened to managers disseminating information? I realise it is up to me to drive my career and training desires but when they don't tell me something to the expense of my current role - is that my fault? Perhaps I see management in this rosy view of the top dog tells his immediate juniors their tasks and passes on all info they receive and then these immediate juniors do likewise and so on ...... plus we have an internal mail system which gets clogged up with other management stuff, so why not a bit more?