Tuesday, April 25, 2006

HDDlife.

Here is one of my rare utility promotions - it's the way my life goes but one thing is certain... if I blog about it then I like it. Anyway the heading says it all I guess. HDD, as in Hard Disk Drive and life as in, well life !!! The companies website front page tag line says it all - HDDlife is the protection of your personal information. In short, this little utility sits there using minimal resources and in it's most basic form will report on the life of your hard drve. It does this using S.M.A.R.T technology built into all modern drives be they SCSI, IDE or ATA.

What in a nutshell does it do then I hear you ask?
It advises on the 'health' of your hard drive. Using the above mentioned technology it determines the likeliness of your hard drive failing and advises you with clear simple graphs. It will also do simple benchmarking, advise on your drive filling up and so on.

What doesn't it do?
It doesn't fix your drives if they have a problem; it doesn't protect your data or back it up. All it purports to do, and so far do it well, is to give a clear graphical idea of if your hard drive is likely to fail.

So, for a simple - yes I keep saying that - utility that takes minimal resources that can give you a good indicator of your hard drives time on this earth then, for me at least, it is a no brainer to purchase. And at $29 for a single license it won't break the bank.

So give me the low down then .....
Fly over here to HDDLife and grab yourself a trial copy.

I guess, if I have to, there is one downside .... the trial version is for 14 days but it doesn't save any settings and after a reboot you will need to reset any choices and the popups can be very annoying. But then I guess something this simple and this good should be registered soonest to remove the annoyance. Go on, give them a try.

Learn details about HDDlife
Publish your opinion in your blog and get a license for free!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commenting to my own post, is that the done thing? ... I just spotted that I can get a free license for having blogged about this. That's cool - if it happens.

I shall report back here whether I did or didn't get that free license. My trial is about to expire and I was going to shell out $29 for it - but hey if I can get it gratis, then I will.

ShauSha said...

Well - what can one say? It's over two weeks since my blog went up and over two weeks since I told HDDlife that the blog was there - but nary a word, let alone an eMail ....

Shame on them - anyway, useful utility now consigned to my bit bucket as one not to use because the company doesn't uphold it's end of their bargain - and I add, a bargian I spotted after I'd posted the initial blog.